This document provides information about upgrading SQL Server 2016 to SQL Server 2019. Before you begin, ensure that you have a valid SQL Server 2019 key and the installation media. You can perform the upgrade from DVD, from a mounted ISO, or from files extracted from an ISO image.
Direct upgrades from SQL Server version prior to 2016 are not supported.
Before You Begin
The SQL Server 2019 Setup wizard is straightforward and requires the following input:
|Enter your SQL Server 2019 product key.
|Notices and license terms
|Read and accept the SQL Server 2019 notice and license agreement.
LogRhythm 7.9.0 or later is required before upgrading SQL Server. LogRhythm 7.9.0 introduced support for SQL Server 2019 on standard deployments; however, SQL Server 2019 is not required. Before upgrading to SQL Server 2019, upgrade to LogRhythm 7.9.0 or later.
High Availability and Disaster Recovery
Upgrading SQL Server to 2019 on existing High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) environments is supported.
SQL Server Licensing
LogRhythm customers may or may not be entitled to an update to SQL Server 2019.
LogRhythm appliances are shipped using the latest operating system license available at the time of purchase. However, appliances may be shipped with older operating systems depending on software support at the time of shipment.
- If you purchased software on or after Feb. 1, 2022, the purchase included SQL 2019 licensing. If you wish to upgrade SQL, you can request a license and the installer through a support case.
- If you purchased software prior to Feb. 1, 2022, you must provide your own SQL 2019 installer and license to upgrade.*
If you purchased hardware, you must provide your own SQL 2019 installer and license to upgrade.**Customer-provided SQL licenses fall outside the scope of LogRhythm Support. LogRhythm will no longer be able to work with Microsoft on behalf of the customer should there be any application issues with SQL Server. Customers will need to work directly with Microsoft.
To upgrade SQL Server 2016 to SQL Server 2019, do the following:
- Log in as an administrator on the PM server you want to upgrade.
Copy the SQL 2019 installation .zip file to the PM server.
If providing your own media, you may need to insert the installation DVD or mount an installation ISO.
- Unzip the SQL 2019 installation file.
- Stop all LogRhythm services EXCEPT for "LogRhythm DX - Elasticseach Service".
- Browse to the root of the unzipped installation file and double-click setup.exe.
The SQL Server 2019 Setup window appears.
If you are upgrading from a DVD, you may be prompted to boot from DVD. You can let the request time out and the upgrade will continue.
When the upgrade is almost finished, a screen indicates that settings are being finalized. When the upgrade is finished, you will be presented with the SQL Server 2019 login screen.
- In the SQL Server 2019 Setup window, select Installation from the menu on the left.
- In the Installation menu, select Upgrade from a previous version of SQL Server.
The Upgrade to SQL Server 2019 wizard appears.
Enter the license key and click Next.
For customers installing using the LogRhythm provided media, the license key will auto-populate.
- Complete the rest of the wizard and upgrade using inputs from the table in the Before You Begin section above.
- Once the upgrade has been completed, restart the server.
After logging in, verify that all LogRhythm services have started.
- Start LogRhythm services on all distributed systems (if applicable), and verify that all services are functioning normally.