Enable Packet Capture
- Open the NetMon Web Management interface.
- On the top navigation bar, click Configuration, and then click the Network tab.
- Enable one or more interfaces to capture. NetMon accepts the following traffic types:
- TAP. A network Test Access Point (TAP) sends traffic from a hardware switch to NetMon. A TAP connection requires a dedicated physical port. For more information, see Install NetMon Appliance Hardware.
- SPAN. Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) ports, also called mirroring ports, send a copy of network packets on one port to another port. A SPAN connection requires a dedicated physical port.
- GRE. Generic Route Encapsulation (GRE) allows traffic to be routed over IP networks without a dedicated physical TAP or SPAN port. When GRE is enabled, traffic can only be captured on the NetMon management interface.
- Virtual. NetMon can capture traffic from a VMware vSphere virtual machine. For more information, see Configure NetMon on a VMware vSphere Virtual Machine.
Click Apply Changes.
NetMon restarts with the new settings, which may take a few minutes.
You can configure NetMon to capture all packets or only specific applications, including unknown traffic. For more information, see Select Applications for Packet Capture.